Crammed with a cheddar cheese combination layered in between thick slices of summer time tomatoes makes this one of the best tomato pie. There’s no higher technique to shut out summer time than making this scrumptious southern recipe.
Tomato season is underway, and making a dinner that’s recent with tomatoes is on the prime of the record. Do that sausage tomato gnocchi, this yummy creamy tomato basil chicken, or this scrumptious creamy tomato Italian parmesan chicken for extra tomato recipes!
The Finest Tomato Pie Recipe
Tomato pie is a summer time staple and one we take pleasure in on a regular basis. The essential substances on this easy and scrumptious recipe are primarily the identical for all, however there are a number of other ways to organize it. One that is for sure although, each finish of summer time ought to embrace this scrumptious recipe.
Tomato pie is recent and scrumptious and goes with absolutely anything. It’s a good way to make use of up all of these tomatoes which are exploding within the backyard (anybody else looking for the entire tomato recipes to make use of these up?!). Plus, it’s a enjoyable twist on a pie. I like that it’s savory and used as the principle dish for dinner. Belief me. You don’t need to miss this!
Components in Tomato Pie
This savory pie is product of only a few fundamental substances, most of which you most likely have readily available. The secret’s selecting tremendous agency tomatoes! Use your fingertips to softly squeeze the tomatoes to check their firmness. Take a look at the recipe card on the backside of the publish for actual ingredient measurements.
- 9-inch Pie Shell: You need to use a store-bought pie shell for those who’re seeking to make this recipe rapidly, or you may make a scrumptious considered one of your individual like this pie crust.
- Contemporary Tomatoes: The firmer the tomatoes, the higher. If the tomatoes are too delicate, they’ll have means an excessive amount of moisture, which is able to make your pie soggy.
- Salt: This helps to empty any extra water.
- Contemporary Basil: Basil and tomato are a match made in heaven! I extremely suggest utilizing recent basil leaves for those who can.
- Cheddar Cheese: You need to use pre-shredded cheddar cheese for this recipe, however shredding it from a block makes it barely softer, and it melts completely into the pie.
- Mayonnaise: The mayo barely holds this pie collectively and provides some scrumptious taste. Strive making your individual with this recipe!
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, and garlic powder and the principle spices for this recipe. Nonetheless, you possibly can simply add in some extra reminiscent of paprika and chili powder for those who like a spicier model.
Make Tomato Pie
This pie comes collectively simply, and it’s a nice lunch or dinner menu possibility. It’s recent and has the basic flavors of basil and tomato, which nobody shall be in a position to withstand!
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350ºF and if making from scratch, put together the pie dough.
- Slice and Coat: Slice the tomatoes to about 1/4-inch in thickness and prepare them in a single layer on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Coat the tomatoes in salt and canopy once more with one other layer of paper towels. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix: In a medium bowl ,mix the shredded cheese, mayonnaise, recent basil, and spices collectively till blended effectively. Put aside.
- Layer: Place the 9-inch pie shell into your pie dish and prepare a single layer of sliced tomatoes on the underside. Cowl the tomatoes with half of the cheese combination and repeat this step.
- End Layering: Layer the final of the tomato slices on prime, overlapping is okay, and firmly press them into the pie. This helps the substances come collectively.
- Bake: Place the pie into the oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, till the cheese begins to bubble and the perimeters of the crust turns a golden brown.
Which Tomatoes are Finest for Tomato Pie?
The usual beefsteak or plum tomatoes work finest for tomato pie as a result of they’re not as juicy as tomatoes reminiscent of heirlooms. Be sure to decide on tomatoes which are agency to the touch and never delicate. If you happen to actually need to use heirloom tomatoes, then you definitely completely can! Simply additionally be certain that they’re tremendous agency. If you happen to select tomatoes which are too delicate, will probably be arduous to take away the water content material, and your pie will end up soggy.
Can I take advantage of a Retailer-Purchased Pie Crust?
Sure! If you happen to’re quick on time or simply don’t need to trouble with making a crust, then a store-bought crust will work simply as effectively. There’s one trick I at all times like to make use of, although, and that’s to double up the crust. Buy a dough that comes with two shells and layer one proper on prime of the opposite in your pie dish. This makes for an additional thick crust.
Retailer Leftover Tomato Pie
Tomato pie leftovers are SO scrumptious. Plus, they hold for fairly a couple of days so it makes an ideal lunch the following day too!
- Within the Fridge: As soon as your pie has cooled, then you possibly can wrap it in plastic wrap and retailer it in your fridge. It would final about 4-5 days.
- To Reheat: You possibly can reheat your tomato pie within the microwave and even within the oven at 325 levels for 5-10 minutes. We additionally don’t even thoughts consuming a slice of it chilly!
Preheat the oven to 350ºF and if making put together the pie dough.
Slice the tomatoes to about 1/4-inch in thickness and prepare them in a single layer on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Coat the tomatoes in salt and canopy once more with one other layer of paper towels. Let sit for 10 minutes.
In a medium bowl mix the shredded cheese, mayonnaise, recent basil, and spices collectively till blended effectively. Put aside.
Place the 9-inch pie shell into your pie dish and prepare a single layer of sliced tomatoes on the underside. Cowl the tomatoes with half of the cheese combination and repeat this step.
Layer the final of the tomato slices on prime, overlapping is okay, and firmly press them into the pie. This helps the substances come collectively.
Place the pie into the oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, till the cheese begins to bubble and the crust turns a golden brown.
Up to date on August 22, 2022
Serving1sliceEnergy281kcal (14%)Carbohydrates15g (5%)Protein8g (16%)Fats22g (34%)Saturated Fats7g (35%)Polyunsaturated Fats6gMonounsaturated Fats6gTrans Fats0.02gLdl cholesterol27mg (9%)Sodium375mg (16%)Potassium305mg (9%)Fiber2g (8%)Sugar3g (3%)Vitamin A1184IU (24%)Vitamin C15mg (18%)Calcium178mg (18%)Iron1mg (6%)
All dietary data is predicated on third occasion calculations and is barely an estimate. Every recipe and dietary worth will differ relying on the manufacturers you employ, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.