This sushi bowl recipe is the best strategy to fulfill a sushi craving at house! Flavorful fixings like sliced avocado, nori, and spicy mayo high seasoned rice.
After I really feel like consuming sushi however I don’t really feel like making sushi, I make this sushi bowl recipe as a substitute. It’s simple to place collectively (no rolling required!), however it nonetheless captures all of the tastes and textures I crave in a very good veggie sushi roll. Creamy avocado performs off sticky seasoned rice, which in flip contrasts with crisp, cooling cucumbers and crackly nori. I add ripe mango for successful of sweetness, baked tofu for protein, and massive drizzles of spicy mayo for richness and warmth. I wish to prep the elements forward of time and luxuriate in this sushi bowl for a midweek lunch, however it additionally makes a enjoyable, refreshing dinner.
Sushi Bowl Recipe Elements
This sushi bowl recipe begins with shortcut sushi rice. Why shortcut? Properly, true sushi rice is made with particular types of Japanese short-grain rice which can be fastidiously cooked, seasoned, and cooled. You’ll be able to study extra about making ready it here. As a result of we’re making a sushi bowl and never precise sushi, this recipe is a little more versatile. Prepare dinner any sort of rice you want (short-grain white and brown rice are my favorites!), and, whereas it’s nonetheless heat, season it with rice vinegar, sugar, and salt so as to add that signature candy and tangy sushi rice taste.
Whereas the rice cooks, prep the toppings:
- Baked tofu – It’s savory, spicy, and crisp across the edges. My air fryer tofu is nice right here too!
- Avocado – A veggie sushi staple!
- Mango – The interaction of candy and savory flavors is certainly one of my favourite elements of consuming sushi, so I really like together with diced mango as a candy, juicy element on this bowl. It contrasts completely with the wealthy avocado and spicy mayo.
- Cucumber – For crunch.
- Scallions – For contemporary, oniony taste.
- Pickled ginger – It provides refreshing, peppery notes to this bowl. Search for it in Asian markets or the Asian part of well-stocked grocery shops.
- Pickled radishes – Non-obligatory, however scrumptious! They add a beautiful pop of pink to this sushi bowl recipe and improve the candy and tangy flavors.
- Spicy mayo – Perhaps the very best a part of this bowl?? This sauce is an easy mixture of sriracha, mayonnaise, lime juice, and sesame oil, and it’s SO simple to stir collectively. Make it vegan by utilizing store-bought or selfmade vegan mayo.
- And garnishes – Microgreens, sesame seeds, and nori, in fact! Can’t discover nori sheets? Crumble up your favourite model of seaweed snacks!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
Sushi Bowl Meal Prep Suggestions
Lots of the elements of this sushi bowl preserve properly in case you make them forward, so it’s an important dish to meal prep.
- The baked tofu and sriracha mayo each preserve for 4 days in an hermetic container within the fridge.
- The pickled radishes preserve for as much as 2 weeks in a jar with a tight-fitting lid within the fridge.
- And you may chop contemporary elements just like the mango, cucumbers, and inexperienced onions forward of time and retailer them within the fridge. Simply wait to slice the avocado till the final minute!
The one element that doesn’t preserve as properly is the rice, which dries out within the fridge. You’ll be able to preserve it round for as much as 2 days. After that, I’d take into account subbing an alternate grain, akin to quinoa, or freezing a number of the rice and thawing it on the day you intend to eat it.
Totally assemble the bowls in meal prep containers forward of time, or preserve the elements helpful to be able to shortly put collectively a bowl at mealtime.
We love this sushi bowl recipe as written, however there are all types of the way to vary it up! Be happy to customise it your liking. Listed below are a number of concepts to get you began:
- Swap the sauce. As an alternative of constructing spicy mayo, high off your bowl with a drizzle of tamari or soy sauce and a squirt of sriracha. Or make the tangy tamari dressing from this rice bowl recipe.
- Add additional greens. The extra the merrier, proper?! A bit shredded cabbage, julienned carrot, or some sautéed mushrooms could be unbelievable right here.
- Choose one other protein. High off your bowl with baked tempeh or edamame.
Let me know what variations you attempt!
Extra Favourite Grain Bowls
When you love this sushi bowl recipe, attempt certainly one of these yummy grain bowls subsequent:
- 3 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 recipe Baked Tofu
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 ripe mangoes, diced
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Pickled ginger
- Pickled radishes, optionally available
- Thinly sliced nori or seaweed snacks, for garnish
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Microgreens, for garnish
- Spicy Mayo, for serving
Whereas the rice remains to be heat, toss it with the rice vinegar, cane sugar, and salt.
Divide amongst 4 bowls and high with the baked tofu, avocado, mango, cucumbers, scallions, pickled ginger, and pickled radishes, if utilizing. Garnish with nori, sesame seeds, and microgreens and serve with spicy mayo.