Skip the mall pretzels, do-it-yourself mushy pretzels are delicous. Crispy and golden brown on the skin and fluffy and chewy on the within.
Made with substances you seemingly have in your pantry, this pretzel recipe is straightforward. Roll the dough into ropes, twist into pretzels, give them a fast dip after which bake.
Sprinkle them with salt and serve them heat, or get pleasure from them with melted cheese or mustard. Strive serving them with a chilly beer, German type.
Oven Baked Smooth Pretzels
- It’s all the time enjoyable to recreate avenue truthful favorites at residence.
- Do-it-yourself mushy pretzels are made with a handful of substances you seemingly have (and no preservatives).
- They’re budget-friendly since they use only a few pantry substances.
- Swap out the salt and check out totally different toppings (like cinnamon sugar or everything bagel seasoning).
- Smooth pretzels could be baked and frozen as an anytime snack or appetizer.
- Experiment with totally different shapes like breadsticks, pretzel bites, knots, or hearts.
Components for Smooth Pretzels
Flour – Because it has extra gluten, bread flour is finest for mushy, stretchy pretzels, however all-purpose flour will also be used.
Yeast – Use energetic dry yeast, equal to 2 ½ teaspoons, and ensure to test the expiration date. To “proof” the yeast, dissolve it in water and sugar and let it sit for 5-10 minutes till it turns into foamy. If it doesn’t foam, discard it.
Baking Soda Tub – Earlier than baking, dip the pretzels right into a boiling water and baking soda bathtub to provide the outside an ideal chewy texture and shade.
Egg Wash – Use an egg wash to provide the pretzels a shiny golden brown exterior and assist the salt (or seasonings) stick higher.
Salt (& different toppings) – Use kosher salt or coarse salt or, attempt cinnamon sugar, jalapeno cheese, everything bagel seasoning, or sesame seeds. Make them to order to please each palate!
Methods to Make Smooth Pretzels
These simple steps can have your loved ones in pretzel heaven very quickly!
- Put together The Pretzel Dough: It is a typical yeast dough and could be made in a stand mixer.
- Form Dough: Roll into ropes and form into pretzels (easy methods to fold pretzels under).
- Baking Soda Tub: Gently decrease into boiling water for a number of seconds.
- Bake: Take away, drain and brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with topping. Bake till toasty brown
Methods to Fold a Pretzel
- Roll every bit right into a 24-inch rope.
- Kind the dough right into a “U” form.
- Cross the 2 ends over one another.
- Fold the ends right down to the underside of the U form to kind a pretzel.
Storing Smooth Pretzels
- Do-it-yourself oven baked mushy pretzels will preserve within the fridge for up 1 week, and within the freezer for as much as three months.
- Thaw at room temperature. This mushy pretzel recipe is finest served heat. To reheat, wrap in foil to forestall over-browning the outside. Warming or thawing within the microwave will toughen them and isn’t really useful.
As soon as the pretzel is fashioned, it’s lowered into boiling and baking soda for just a few seconds. This modifications the pH of the skin and provides it that lovely brown shade.
This additionally provides the flavour we love in pretzels and begins the crust formation which finishes within the oven.
The egg wash helps all these tasty toppings adhere to the curved floor of the pretzels. As well as, the egg and water wash will give pretzels a golden brown sheen and satisfying crunch.
Did you make these do-it-yourself mushy pretzels? Make sure you depart a score and a remark under!
Oven Baked Smooth Pretzel
A mushy pretzel recipe that creates deliciously mushy, barely chewy pretzels with crisp golden brown coating.
In a stand mixer, mix water, sugar, salt, and yeast. Let sit for 5-10 minutes or till foamy.
Add 2 cups flour and melted butter to the yeast combination. Combine on low with a dough hook. Steadily add extra till the dough is mixed.
Knead the dough with a dough hook within the mixer till the dough is clean, about 5 minutes or knead by hand on the counter for 10 minutes.
Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cowl, and set in a heat place to rise for 60 minutes, or till the dough has doubled in dimension.
Preheat the oven to 450°F and line baking pans with parchment paper. In a big pot, convey water and baking soda to a boil.
Divide dough into 8 equal items and roll every bit right into a 24-inch rope. Form every rope right into a pretzel by forming a “U” form and crossing the 2 ends over one another, then folding them right down to the underside of the “U”. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Gently place the pretzels on a big spatula and decrease them into the boiling water. Boil for 10-15 seconds, then gently raise them out of the water and let extra drip off. Place the pretzels on the ready baking pans, leaving not less than 2-inches between them.
Brush the pretzels with the egg wash, then sprinkle with kosher salt (or toppings as desired).
Bake for 12-14 minutes or till the pretzels are golden.
To make with out a stand mixer Should you don’t have a stand mixer, you’ll be able to knead the dough by hand on the counter for about 10 minutes.
Make mushy pretzel bites Divide dough into 4 items and roll right into a 24″ rope. Minimize rope into 2″ items. Boil as directed and bake for Sep 11 minutes or till golden.
To boil the pretzels, place a pretzel on a big spatula and gently decrease it into the boiling water. Use a big slotted spoon to softly take away it from the water.
Egg wash For a softer crust, use the entire egg. A wash comprised of egg white solely and water will produce a tougher, crisper exterior.
Topping Variations High this pretzel recipe with sesame seeds, everything bagel seasoning, cinnamon sugar or cheddar cheese & thinly sliced jalapenos.
Energy: 304 | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 8g | Fats: 7g | Saturated Fats: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 2g | Trans Fats: 0.2g | Ldl cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 3384mg | Potassium: 107mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 210IU | Vitamin C: 0.01mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 3mg
Diet data supplied is an estimate and can range primarily based on cooking strategies and types of substances used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and images are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.