This jalapeño popper dip is an addictive get together appetizer or sport day snack! Crispy bread crumbs and melty cheese prime a creamy, smoky, spicy dip.
This jalapeño popper dip is what you’d get if you happen to flipped regular jalapeño poppers inside out. As a substitute of stuffing a creamy, tacky combination into the jalapeños, you chop up the jalapeños and stir them right into a creamy, tacky dip. I’m warning you now: it’s insanely scrumptious. This jalapeño popper dip delivers all of the wealthy, smoky, tangy, spicy taste you search for in a traditional jalapeño popper, AND you get to scoop it up with tortilla chips, which add wonderful salty crunch. Make it on your subsequent get together or sport day get-together, and it will likely be gone in minutes.
Jalapeño Popper Dip Recipe Elements
A typical jalapeño popper dip recipe would name for cream cheese, mayonnaise, and/or bitter cream to create the creamy base. However in my recipe, I shake issues up a bit and use Greek yogurt. It provides the dip a easy, creamy texture and wealthy, tangy taste whereas packing in plenty of protein! Be certain that to make use of a model with a very thick consistency, resembling Fage or Chobani.
Right here’s what else you’ll must make this jalapeño popper dip:
- Jalapeños, in fact! You’ll depart some uncooked for garnish and roast the remainder. Roasting the peppers mellows their spicy chew, and it softens their texture in order that they meld into the creamy dip.
- Garlic and onion powder – For savory, umami taste.
- Smoked paprika – Bacon is a traditional ingredient in jalapeño popper dip, however, in fact, I skip it in my recipe. As a substitute, I flip to smoked paprika so as to add wealthy, smoky taste.
- Sharp cheddar cheese – It creates a melty, gooey layer between the crispy panko and the creamy dip, and it provides implausible tangy taste!
- Panko bread crumbs – You’ll toss them with slightly olive oil to create the dip’s crispy topping.
- Chives – A recent, oniony crowning glory! Thinly sliced inexperienced onion would work properly too.
- And sea salt – To make all of the flavors pop!
Don’t overlook the tortilla chips for dipping! Your favourite crackers would even be nice.
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
The way to Make Jalapeño Popper Dip
There are three components to this jalapeño popper dip recipe:
1. Roasting the peppers and garlic. Line a baking sheet with foil, and place 2 1/2 peppers on it (you’ll depart the additional half pepper uncooked for garnish). Drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt. Wrap the garlic in a chunk of foil with a drizzle of olive oil, and add it to the baking sheet. Broil till the peppers are gentle and blistering, 10 to fifteen minutes.
When the roasted veggies are cool sufficient to deal with, peel off the charred pepper pores and skin, and finely chop the roasted peppers. Peel the garlic, and use the flat aspect of a chef’s knife to mash it right into a paste.
2. Mixing up the dip. Place the chopped roasted peppers and roasted garlic in a medium bowl with the yogurt, onion powder, smoked paprika, and salt. Stir to mix.
3. Including the topping and broiling the dip. Rapidly prep the panko by tossing it with slightly olive oil.
Unfold the yogurt combination in a small skillet or baking dish, and prime it with the cheddar. Sprinkle on the panko and broil till the topping is golden brown.
Garnish with the recent jalapeños and chives. Serve heat with tortilla chips for dipping!
Jalapeño Popper Dip Recipe Suggestions
- Use the fitting yogurt. Completely different manufacturers of Greek yogurt range broadly in consistency. This recipe works finest with yogurt that’s super-thick and creamy–bear in mind, it’s stepping in for cream cheese/bitter cream. We examined this recipe with Fage yogurt, and we’ve had success with Chobani in comparable recipes previously. Be certain that to make use of complete milk yogurt (not low-fat or nonfat) for the very best taste.
- Spice to your stage. This dip isn’t supposed to be loopy sizzling, however if you happen to’re delicate to spice, be certain to spice to your stage. Attempt including only one jalapeño pepper to the yogurt combination and tasting it earlier than you add extra.
- Watch it bake. The period of time it’s good to broil this dip will rely in your oven. It’d take a full 5 minutes to get golden brown and crispy, or it’d take much less, whilst little as 1 minute! I like to recommend maintaining a tally of it whereas it’s within the oven. With many broilers, the distinction between golden brown and burnt is a matter of seconds.
- Get forward. Wish to prep this jalapeño popper dip forward of the massive sport? No drawback! Roast the peppers and garlic prematurely, and blend them with the yogurt, salt, and spices. Retailer the yogurt combination within the fridge for as much as 2 days. Switch it to a skillet, add the cheese and panko topping, and broil simply earlier than serving.
Extra Favourite Celebration Meals and Sport Day Snacks
Should you love this simple jalapeño popper dip recipe, strive one among these tasty sport day snacks subsequent:
Jalapeño Popper Dip
This simple jalapeño popper dip is a scrumptious get together appetizer or sport day snack! Heat, creamy, smoky, and tacky, it is implausible with tortilla chips.
- 3 jalapeño peppers, 2 left complete, 1 sliced in half crosswise
- 1 garlic clove, unpeeled
- 1½ cups thick complete milk Greek yogurt*
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- Heaping ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1½ teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- Tortilla chips, for serving
Preheat the oven broiler and line a baking sheet with foil. Place the two complete jalapeños and 1 of the jalapeño halves on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Wrap the garlic clove in a chunk of foil with a drizzle of olive oil and place on the baking sheet. Broil for 10 to fifteen minutes, or till the jalapeños are gentle and blistering.
Take away from the oven and put aside to chill. When the jalapeños are cool to the contact, use your fingers (sporting gloves, if desired) to peel and take away the free pores and skin. Slice the peppers in half and take away the seeds and membranes. Finely chop the peppers. Take away the garlic from its papers and use the again of a chef’s knife to mash it right into a paste.
In a medium bowl, stir collectively the yogurt, onion powder, salt, smoked paprika, garlic, and roasted jalapeños.
In a small bowl, toss the panko with the olive oil. Switch the yogurt combination to a small skillet or baking dish, prime with the cheese, and sprinkle with the panko. Broil for 1 to five minutes, or till the topping is golden brown. The timing will rely in your broiler.
Take away from the oven. Thinly slice the remaining jalapeño half and sprinkle the slices over the dip. High with chives and serve with tortilla chips.
*We like Fage or Chobani on this recipe.