Welcome to grilled cheese 101! Learn on to learn to make a grilled cheese sandwich with a crisp, golden exterior and melty middle each time.
In case you’re questioning how you can make a grilled cheese sandwich, Jack’s your man. He makes one so typically that we’ve got a devoted grilled cheese pan in our kitchen. It’s seen 1,000,000 grilled cheese experiments in its day–mayo on the bread, or softened butter? American cheese or Swiss?–all of which have helped him work out what, in our opinion, is THE BEST grilled cheese recipe. It’s extremely easy, but it surely yields an undeniably crave-able sandwich. This grilled cheese is crisp and golden on the skin and deliciously melty within the center (see that cheese pull up there?!). Tomato soup for serving is non-compulsory, however extremely really helpful.
Grilled Cheese Recipe Components
Able to grasp this grilled cheese recipe? Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Good bread – My most popular kind of bread for this recipe is sourdough, as a result of I like the tang it provides to the sandwich. I positively suggest attempting it out, however when you’re a grilled cheese purist, or when you don’t hold sourdough readily available, common white bread will work right here too.
- Mayonnaise – For the skin of the bread! It helps it cook dinner up with a crisp, superbly browned exterior.
- Dijon mustard – It’s not completely conventional, but it surely’s SO scrumptious, including delicate tangy taste.
- Butter – For the pan.
- And cheese, in fact! I like to make use of a combo of two totally different cheeses to offer the sandwich a richer style. Questioning which of them are finest? Preserve studying!
What’s the perfect cheese for grilled cheese?
Okay, so actually, you can also make an amazing grilled cheese sandwich with any forms of cheese that soften effectively, from mozzarella to havarti to Monterey Jack or pepper jack. BUT I’ve a number of favorites, and I believe they actually set this recipe aside.
- Sharp cheddar – For me, it’s a grilled cheese important! You simply can’t beat its sharp, nutty taste. It additionally melts superbly. I like to mix it with one of many two cheeses beneath.
- Gruyère or raclette – Each of those cheeses are forms of Alpine-style Swiss cheese. They’re unparalleled melters, and every is salty and nutty, with a little bit of funk. Paired with the cheddar, they create a sandwich that has the gooey nostalgia of a basic grilled cheese, however with a tad further complexity. Between the 2, I couldn’t choose a favourite. Select whichever is available at your grocery retailer!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
Methods to Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich (My Finest Ideas!)
Right here’s our simple methodology for how you can make a grilled cheese sandwich:
- Unfold mayo on the skin of the bread. Not butter! The mayo helps the bread brown insanely effectively within the skillet, making a mouthwatering crunch once you chunk into the sandwich. It additionally offers the sandwich a richer taste. Unfold the within of 1 slice of bread with a layer of Dijon mustard.
- Add grated cheese. I discover that grated cheese melts extra evenly than a slice of cheese does. (Although in fact, when you select to make use of a softer kind of cheese, reminiscent of brie, you’ll must slice it.) Use sufficient to create a small mound of grated cheese over one slice of bread, usually 1 to 2 ounces of every kind of cheese. Place the opposite slice of bread on high, mayo facet out!
- Select the fitting skillet. We like to make use of cast-iron as a result of it creates beautiful browning on the skin of the sandwich. In a pinch, nonstick works too!
- Go low and sluggish. I don’t elevate my warmth any larger than medium-low. If the pan will get too sizzling, the bread will burn earlier than the cheese melts.
- Cowl the pan. Add sufficient butter to coat the underside of the pan. Then, add the sandwich, and COVER the skillet. The lid will lure steam within the pan, serving to soften the cheese because the bread toasts. Cook dinner for two to three minutes, or till the bread is golden brown. Flip and cook dinner, lined, on the second facet.
- Modify the warmth as wanted. Decrease it if the bread is browning too rapidly!
When the bread is browned on each side and the sandwich is filled with melty cheese, take away it from the pan. Slice (into triangles, please!), and serve!
We love this recipe as written, however when you’re itching to alter it up, hey! You do you! Listed here are a number of concepts to get you began:
- Change the cheese, clearly! Swap the Gruyere for fontina or gouda, use 100% cheddar, or sprinkle in some blue cheese for further funk. Like I mentioned above, any good melter goes!
- Add veggies. Tuck in slightly sautéed spinach, caramelized onions, chopped steamed broccoli, roasted red peppers, or roasted tomatoes.
- Add fruit. For actually connoisseur grilled cheese sandwiches, use a mixture of Gruyere and brie cheese together with thinly sliced apples or a slather of fig jam.
- Pickles, please! Layer in pickled red onions, pickled radishes, or pickled jalapeños for a enjoyable pop of taste.
- Get saucy. Substitute the mustard with a distinct sauce you like! Pesto, for instance, is implausible on a sandwich with mozzarella and provolone cheese.
Let me know what variations you attempt!
Extra Favourite Tacky Recipes
In case you beloved studying how you can make an ideal grilled cheese sandwich, attempt one in all these tacky recipes subsequent:
Learn to make the BEST grilled cheese sandwich! This simple recipe yields a grilled cheese with a crisp, golden exterior and a gooey, melty, tacky center. Scrumptious with tomato soup!
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- Dijon mustard
- 1 to 2 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese, relying on the dimensions of your bread
- 1 to 2 ounces grated Gruyère or raclette cheese, relying on the dimensions of your bread
- Butter, for the pan
Place the bread slices on a reducing board and unfold the highest facet with a skinny layer of mayo. Flip one slice of bread and unfold its different facet with Dijon mustard. Layer the cheddar and Gruyère or Raclette cheeses on high of the mustard, then place the opposite slice of bread on high of the cheese, mayo facet out.
Warmth a nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-low warmth and soften sufficient butter within the backside of the pan to coat it. Place the sandwich within the pan, cowl, and cook dinner for two to three minutes, or till the underside slice of bread is golden brown and crisp. Flip, substitute the lid, and cook dinner till the opposite slice of bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, 1 to three minutes. Scale back the warmth to low if the bread is getting too brown earlier than the cheese is totally melted.
Slice and serve.