This scrumptious frog eye salad is creamy, fluffy, and stuffed with pineapple, mandarin oranges, and marshmallows. It’s good for bringing to any gathering or potluck. Belief me once I say this may fly off the desk!
I really like a salad that’s candy and stuffed with fruit. You MUST TRY my Strawberry Cheesecake Salad, this scrumptious Snickers Caramel Apple Salad and this further yummy Pistachio Salad! Everybody I do know loves these ones!
What’s Frog Eye Salad?
This pleasant salad comes from the western states of Utah and Idaho. It’s usually seen at potlucks or household gatherings and when you strive it, you will notice why! This serves a big crowd, it’s straightforward to make and it has marshmallows! And sure, it’s nonetheless known as a salad! Typically these cool whip salads simply hit the spot!
On this salad, I sometimes use mandarin oranges and pineapple. They simply complement one another so effectively and I really like the feel that they add to this facet dish! However, you possibly can simply swap both of these out for some other fruit and it’ll end up simply as scrumptious! I wish to let this sit within the fridge at arrange for some time after I make it so it’s an ideal salad to make forward of time!
Elements in Frog Eye Salad
The acini de pepe is my favourite half about this salad! I completely love the feel that it brings and it simply units this salad other than different fruit salads. Take a look at the recipe card on the backside of the publish for actual measurements.
- Acini de Pepe: This can be a pasta and the identify of it’s Italian and it means “seeds of pepper”.
- Egg Yolks: I at all times like to make use of giant eggs in all of my recipes.
- Sugar: This may sweeten every thing up making this frog eye salad style further scrumptious!
- Pineapple Tidbits: You’ll draing your pineapple however be certain that to save lots of the juice! You’ll use it at one other place on this recipe!
- Flour: I used all-purpose flour on this recipe.
- Cornstarch: The cornstarch helps to thicken the sauce.
- Cool Whip: That is what brings in that delightfully fluffy texture!
- Mandarin Oranges: Drain your mandarin oranges earlier than you place them within the salad so that you just aren’t including to a lot further liquid to the salad.
- Shredded Coconut: This taste and texture go so effectively on this salad.
- Mini Marshmallows: The mini marshmallows are my youngsters favourite half!
Easy methods to Make Frog Eye Salad
When you make this salad, you simply must keep in mind that it must time chill to arrange! So it’s greatest to make this the morning of. Then, it could possibly sit within the fridge all day and will probably be able to go by the point dinner rolls round!
- Cook dinner Pasta: Cook dinner the pasta in keeping with bundle instructions, then drain and put aside.
- Mix: In a medium saucepan, add the egg yolks, sugar, juice out of your pineapple cans (put aside pineapple), flour, and cornstarch.
- Boil: Deliver to a low boil and whisk for 4-6 minutes.
- Simmer: Scale back to a simmer till it begins to thicken.
- Chill: Add it to a bowl and put it within the fridge for an hour.
- Mix: In a large bowl, add the pasta, pineapple, custard combination, cool whip, mandarin oranges, shredded coconut, and mini marshmallows.
- Stir: Stir every thing collectively till mixed.
- Chill Once more:Refrigerate for at the least an hour, then serve.
Substitutions for Acini de Pepe
Should you can’t discover this pasta on the retailer, don’t fear! You’ll be able to nonetheless make this salad. A terrific substitute could be some pastina. That is very related and simply as small, so it should give this frog eye salad the identical texture.
Easy methods to Retailer Leftovers
Fortunately, since this salad is healthier chilled, leftovers of this frog eye salad are simply as scrumptious, if not higher! You’ll be able to retailer your leftovers in an hermetic container in your fridge. They are going to final about 3-4 days!
Cook dinner the pasta in keeping with bundle instructions, then drain and put aside.
In a medium saucepan, add the egg yolks, sugar, juice out of your pineapple cans (put aside pineapple), flour, and cornstarch.
Deliver to a low boil and whisk for 4-6 minutes.
Scale back to a simmer till it begins to thicken.
Add it to a bowl and put it within the fridge for an hour.
In a big bowl, add the pasta, pineapple, custard combination, cool whip, mandarin oranges, shredded coconut, and mini marshmallows.
Stir every thing collectively till mixed.
Refrigerate for at the least an hour, then serve.
Energy294kcal (15%)Carbohydrates57g (19%)Protein7g (14%)Fats6g (9%)Saturated Fats3g (15%)Polyunsaturated Fats0.3gMonounsaturated Fats1gLdl cholesterol52mg (17%)Sodium39mg (2%)Potassium116mg (3%)Fiber2g (8%)Sugar26g (29%)Vitamin A125IU (3%)Vitamin C5mg (6%)Calcium36mg (4%)Iron2mg (11%)
All dietary data relies on third occasion calculations and is just an estimate. Every recipe and dietary worth will range relying on the manufacturers you employ, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.