This straightforward enchiladas recipe is all the time a success! That includes a flavorful home made sauce and many melty cheese, it is easy, comforting, and scrumptious.
This enchiladas recipe is the sort of easy, comforting dish that all of us want in our weeknight rotations. It’s straightforward, it’s flavorful, and it’ll win over the pickiest palates (our kiddo all the time asks for extra!).
The filling is a combo of gooey cheese, black beans, and steamed spinach. I roll it up in corn tortillas, which I then smother with homemade enchilada sauce and extra cheese. Lastly, I bake the enchiladas till the cheese is melty and the sides of the tortillas are crisp. For such a easy recipe, the style, texture, and general deliciousness are out of this world! I feel you’re going to like it.
Cheese Enchiladas Recipe Components
Although enchiladas at the moment are a fixture in American dwelling kitchens and Tex Mex delicacies, they’ve their roots in Mexico. Kinds of enchiladas fluctuate enormously from area to area and from kitchen to kitchen, however usually, they encompass tortillas dipped in a sauce after which rolled round a filling. They’re additionally generally left unfilled, folded over, and topped with meat, cheese, or greens. This cheese enchiladas recipe is a model of the enchiladas I grew up consuming within the Midwest, and it’s much like some Tex Mex enchiladas I’ve loved at eating places in Austin too. Right here’s what’s in it:
- Corn tortillas – I like the wealthy corn taste they add to this recipe, although you would sub flour tortillas in the event you desire. Tortillas made with a corn/flour blend are additionally good right here, as they’re extra pliable than common corn tortillas, however they nonetheless have a pleasant corn taste.
- Red enchilada sauce – My home made model is so a lot better than the store-bought variety! It’s straightforward to make with tomato sauce, veggie broth, and spices.
- Cheddar, Monterey Jack, and Oaxaca cheese – The cheddar provides nice sharp taste, and the Jack and Oaxaca cheeses soften fantastically. You’ll use the cheddar and Jack cheeses on prime of the enchiladas and add all three cheeses to the filling.
- Black beans – They add creamy texture and earthy taste to the enchilada filling.
- Spinach – Its silky texture is incredible contained in the enchiladas.
- And the toppings – Avocado, cilantro, and jalapeños provide the right contemporary distinction to the tacky filling.
Serve with a squeeze of lime!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
Easy methods to Make Enchiladas
This cheese enchiladas recipe is so easy! Right here’s the way it goes:
First, prep the sauce and fillings. The sauce is fast and simple to make on the range (we’re speaking quarter-hour!). It additionally retains nicely for as much as 5 days within the fridge if you wish to make it prematurely. As soon as the sauce is about to go, you’ll must steam and chop the spinach and grate the cheddar and Jack cheeses. Tear the Oaxaca cheese into strips.
Subsequent, fill the enchiladas. Unfold 1/2 cup of the sauce on the backside of a giant baking dish. Place a bit of every cheese and among the black beans and spinach in a tortilla, and roll to seal. Place it, seam aspect down, within the ready baking dish. Repeat to assemble the remaining enchiladas.
Then, add extra sauce and cheese. Pour the remaining sauce down the middle of the enchiladas, leaving the sides of the tortillas naked in order that they crisp up within the oven. Scatter the remaining cheddar and Jack cheeses within the middle as nicely.
Lastly, bake in a 350°F oven till the cheese is melted and the sides of the tortillas are crisp.
Let the enchiladas cool barely, then load them up with contemporary cilantro, diced avocado, and sliced jalapeños, and dig in!
Oh, and if you wish to get inventive along with your toppings, don’t maintain again. Sliced radishes, diced white onion, shredded cabbage or lettuce, or a dollop of bitter cream can be nice right here too.
Enchilada Recipe Suggestions
- Squeeze the water out of the spinach. When you steam the spinach, place it in a clear kitchen towel or paper towel and wring out any extra water. This fast steps prevents that water from seeping into the enchiladas and making them soggy.
- Tortillas cracking? Pop them within the microwave. In a standard recipe, you’d frivolously fry the tortillas in oil to make them pliable earlier than assembling the enchiladas. To chop down on prep time, I skip this step after I make enchiladas at dwelling. As an alternative, I wrap the tortillas in a moist kitchen towel and microwave them for about 10 seconds. They arrive out delicate and versatile, straightforward to roll up with out cracking.
- Go away the sides of the tortillas naked. That approach, they’ll crisp up within the oven, providing an amazing crunchy distinction to the gooey enchilada middles.
- Make this recipe your individual! Do you like plain cheese enchiladas? Omit the black beans and spinach from the recipe. Like a heartier veggie filling? Add roasted butternut squash or cauliflower and inexperienced onions. Although this enchiladas recipe is scrumptious as written, you’ll be able to deal with it like a clean canvas. Have enjoyable making it your individual!
Extra Favourite Weeknight Dinners
For those who love this enchiladas recipe, attempt one among these straightforward weeknight dinners subsequent:
This cheese enchiladas recipe is a scrumptious meal that is straightforward to make on any night time of the week. To get forward, put together the sauce prematurely. It is going to hold for as much as 5 days within the fridge.
- 1½ cups Enchilada Sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1¼ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1¼ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 ounces Oaxaca cheese, torn
- 1 cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 ounces steamed and chopped spinach*
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped contemporary cilantro
- ½ avocado, diced
- ½ lime, for squeezing
Preheat the oven to 350°F and unfold ½ cup of the enchilada sauce on the underside of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
In case your tortillas are too stiff to roll with out cracking, wrap them in a moist towel and heat them for a couple of seconds within the microwave.
In a small bowl, combine collectively ¾ cup of the cheddar cheese and ¾ cup of the Jack cheese.
Fill a tortilla with among the cheese mix and among the Oaxaca cheese, black beans, and spinach. Roll the tortilla closed and place it seam aspect down within the ready baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Pour the remaining 1 cup sauce on prime of the enchiladas, leaving the sides of the tortillas naked, if desired. High with the remaining ½ cup cheddar cheese and ½ cup Jack cheese.
Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or till the cheese is melted and the sides of the tortillas are crisp. Take away from the oven and let cool barely, then prime with jalapeño slices, cilantro, avocado, and squeezes of lime and serve.
*Place the spinach in a steamer basket and set over a pot full of 1 inch of water. Carry the water to a simmer, cowl, and steam for 1 minute, or till the spinach is wilted. Switch to a strainer and squeeze out the surplus water. If desired, roughly chop the spinach.