This Inexperienced Bean Casserole recipe is a basic vacation facet dish that wants just some minutes of prep and will be made with recent, frozen, or canned inexperienced beans.
Tender inexperienced beans and crispy fried onions are tossed in a shortcut creamy mushroom sauce. High this casserole with extra crispy onions and bake till golden and bubbly.
That is the right facet dish to serve alongside along with your roast turkey for the right meal!
A Traditional Vacation Casserole
I like inexperienced bean casserole, it jogs my memory of holidays from my childhood. This can be a model of Campbell’s inexperienced bean casserole developed by Dorcas Reilley within the take a look at kitchen (though I do love my from-scratch version too)!
- This dish wants solely 5 minutes of prep time making this the simplest facet dish ever.
- Might be made forward of time, positioned in a baking dish, and baked simply earlier than serving.
- High with crispy onions or perhaps a Panko blended with butter and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- It’s excellent as a Thanksgiving facet dish, for Easter or Christmas dinner but it surely’s additionally nice alongside Sunday supper too.
Substances in Inexperienced Bean Casserole
Inexperienced Beans – For this recipe, you should use recent, frozen, or canned.
Canned inexperienced beans are softer however are straightforward to make use of as a result of they require no prep. Merely drain and luxuriate in.
Frozen inexperienced beans require no chopping and have a tender-crisp texture. You possibly can skip cooking frozen inexperienced beans however I favor the feel in the event that they’ve been cooked in boiling water for about 5 minutes (and also you’ll want a bit extra salt).
Like frozen, recent inexperienced beans have a tender-crisp texture and a more energizing taste. Simmer for 8 minutes.
Sauce – Utilizing a can of condensed mushroom soup is what makes this recipe really easy (and is the bottom of the creamy mushroom sauce). Any “cream of” soup will work simply superb on this recipe or you should use home made condensed mushroom soup or chicken soup!
Crispy Fried Onions – Crispy Fried Onions (or french fried onions) are important to this recipe (a lot that it’s even typically known as French’s Inexperienced Bean Casserole)!
Should you’ve by no means had them, these onions are delish and nice on all types of casseroles, burgers, and extra! They’re added each in and on this casserole!
- I like so as to add cheddar cheese to this recipe (elective after all!), it melts into the sauce making it additional yummy.
- Make your personal home made mushroom cream sauce as a substitute of canned and/or swap out the onions for fried shallots.
- Add minced cloves of garlic cooked in butter, some roasted garlic, or a touch of garlic powder.
- Simmer the inexperienced beans in rooster broth. Reserve the drained rooster broth for making your stuffing!
How To Make Inexperienced Bean Casserole
There’s a cause this dish has been round for years, it’s easy. It’s scrumptious. Good in each approach.
- Prepare dinner Beans: Simmer recent or frozen inexperienced beans. (drain them in the event that they’re canned)
- Combine Sauce: Mix mushroom soup, milk, soy sauce, and pepper (per recipe beneath).
- Toss Collectively: Add the sauce, inexperienced beans, some crispy onions, and cheese to a bowl.
- High & Bake High the inexperienced bean combination with extra crispy onions and bake till golden and bubbly!
How To Prep Forward of Time
You may make inexperienced bean casserole forward of time.
- Put together as directed besides preserve the crispy onion topping in a separate container. I normally place them in a sealed sandwich bag proper within the dish and sprinkle on prime earlier than baking.
- Refrigerate for as much as 48 hours.
- Take away the dish from the fridge at the least half-hour earlier than baking. If it’s actually chilled, it’s possible you’ll want so as to add as much as 10 minutes of additional cooking time.
Inexperienced bean casserole must cook dinner for about 40 minutes at 350°F. Ff your inexperienced bean casserole has been within the fridge, you’ll probably want so as to add some additional time!
Sure, it may be made as much as 48 hours forward of time. Add about 10 minutes to the baking time.
Sure, this casserole will be frozen. Put together as directed and freeze earlier than baking. Thaw within the fridge in a single day and bake as directed including 10 minutes to the baking time.
Did you get pleasure from this Traditional Inexperienced Bean Casserole? You’ll want to depart a score and a remark beneath!
Traditional Inexperienced Bean Casserole
Tender inexperienced beans are tossed in a scrumptious creamy sauce, cheese, crispy onions, and baked with much more crispy onions till scorching and bubbly.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
If utilizing recent or frozen inexperienced beans, boil simply till tender crisp.
Mix soup, inexperienced beans, milk, soy sauce, pepper, salt, 1 cup of crispy onions, and cheese (if utilizing) in a casserole dish.
Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes or bubbly.
Take away from oven and stir. High with remaining onions and return to oven for an extra 10 minutes or till golden.
- drain 2 (14 ½ ounces every) cans of inexperienced beans
- 1 ½ kilos recent inexperienced beans, trimmed and simmered for about 7-8 minutes
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese (favourite!)
- fried mushrooms, onions, garlic, and/or shallots
Make Forward: This casserole will be made as much as 48 hours forward of time. Take away the casserole from the fridge for at the least half-hour earlier than baking. Chances are you’ll want so as to add 10 minutes of additional cooking time.
Energy: 167 | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 5g | Fats: 10g | Saturated Fats: 5g | Ldl cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 422mg | Potassium: 386mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 550IU | Vitamin C: 6.7mg | Calcium: 171mg | Iron: 0.7mg
Diet info supplied is an estimate and can differ primarily based on cooking strategies and types of elements used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and images are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.